Got Questions?via ferrata cornwall FAQs
Frequently asked questions
Below are our most frequently asked questions. FAQs which are specific to a certain activity can be found at the bottom of that activity page. We hope this helps, but please do get in touch with us if you would like any further information.
How to find us/Where do we meet?
We are based at Goodygrane Activity Centre TR10 9BX, 1 mile off the main A394 Helston Road. From the A394, follow signs for the village of Halvasso and Via Ferrata Cornwall (do not turn into Kernow Adventure Park). Drive through Halvasso until you see the big orange entrance signs for Via Ferrata, please park and head to the Via Ferrata Reception to check in. (If reception is unmanned, please report back 10 minutes before your session starts).
When are you open?
3rd April – 31st Oct – main season (7 days a week). Open daily to advance bookings although we may have availability on the day if you call in for a coffee and cake and get tempted to have a go.
Off peak season is open on set days only – for availability, check the activity calendar when you book.
The Café is open daily, 9:30-4:30.
For updates, follow @thecornishbarista on Facebook.
Do I need to book in advance?
We recommend booking to secure your space, particularly as we are allowing fewer people onto the activities due to Covid-19. However, if you are keen to see the Via Ferrata routes before you book, you are welcome to come to the Café. Here you can enjoy a slice of cake, see the courses and watch others in action. We may have spaces available that day or you could book for another date.
What are the medical restrictions?
These will depend on the activity.
For Via Ferrata:
Participants should only book themselves or other people onto the Via Ferrata if they are happy that they are physically fit and medically abled to undertake the activities. The Via Ferrata will:
- Be physical – the course will involve climbing up and sideways and moving along wire bridges for continued time periods. People should only undertake the Via Ferrata if they are physically able to do so.
- Be at height – at times participants will be up to 25 meters above the floor using metal bars and at times, natural rock features as a means of movement. People should only book onto the Via Ferrata if this is within their capability.
The following medical conditions may restrict your ability to take part in Via Ferrata. Therefore, please follow the guidance below:
If you suffer from:
- Severe asthma, frequent/severe epilepsy, a back injury or heart condition, you will only be able to take part pending a discussion with our Booking Team. We require you to specify full details on the medical form when you book, as well as consulting both a doctor and the VFC Booking Team.
- Mild/infrequent epilepsy, you will be able to take part, however we require you to specify full details on medical form when you book, as well as consulting a doctor.
- Asthma (mild-moderate), you will be able to take part, however we require you to specify full details on medical form when you book.
Any other condition
If you are unsure, please list full details on our medical form and consult the booking team. We may require you to consult a doctor.
For Coasteering, watersports and climbing:
These are energetic activities and you are required to let us know, at the booking stage, if you have any medical conditions relating to your heart, back, head and breathing.
If you are unsure, please list full details on our medical form and consult the bookings team. We may require you to consult a doctor.
Are your activities accessible?
We will endeavour to facilitate access to our activities and if you have a disability and/or have additional support needs, please email us to discuss your needs. Our launching charity BF Adventure provides support for disabled children and young people and offers a range of inclusive activities to meet their needs – do get in touch with them if you’re interested!
What happens in bad weather?
We rarely cancel our activities, only in the case of strong Easterly winds or electrical storms.
Via Ferrata Cornwall reserves the right to make operational changes at any time which are considered necessary for safety or operational matters.
Please see our Terms and Conditions for full information on our postponement policy.
If we need to change your booking due to weather, we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible via phone and text message. We will offer you a voucher to use on another date but cannot offer refunds.
Can I use a camera/action camera on the activity or my Drone?
Cameras/mobile phones due to health and safety reasons, you must be able to use both hands whilst doing the activities. You may use compact cameras and phones with attachment points at the discretion of Instructors and at your own risk. You may use a waterproof phone pouch with a lanyard for example, which would attach the camera/phone to your harness whilst you are on the Via Ferrata.
Go Pros may be used if attached to one of our helmets with appropriate straps or a chest mount. We have a limited number of chest/helmet mounts so recommend that you bring your own to avoid disappointment. This would need Instructor approval before use.
Please note that bringing phones and cameras out on activities will mean that there’s a risk that they get damaged or lost and we cannot be held liable should this happen.
Spectators will be able to get great pictures of you on the High Wire Bridge and on the zip wire finale if you choose to do the Via Ferrata activity.
Drones – under No circumstances can drones be flown on or above our site.
Can I bring the dog?
Yes! We don’t encourage dogs being left in cars but they are welcome on our nature trails, viewing areas and in the Café. Please note that dogs should be on leads and cannot roam freely due to dangers of quarry edges.
What if I’m going to be late for my activity?
Please aim to arrive 20 minutes before the start of your activity. If you miss your time slot, we will reschedule to a later time that day if possible (availability dependant). We cannot guarantee an alternative later time slot and cannot refund or move late arrival bookings to alternative dates. Please see T&Cs.
Do you offer gift vouchers?
Do you have changing rooms?
Yes – we have changing rooms in case you go for one of our wet activities!
What about coronavirus?
Our centre is very well-versed in operating ‘Covid-safe’, having supported Cornwall’s most vulnerable children through the pandemic through its charity arm.
We have adopted the following measures to ensure your safety:
- We are operating all activities with group sizes managed to ensure we can maintain appropriate social distancing and be within Covid-safe guidelines.
- The site is designed to facilitate social distancing and we clean regularly. Multiple handwash stations are also available.
- Staff will complete a LFT if they show any potential symptoms of Covid or if they have reason to believe that they may be positive. If they test positive, they will isolate for a minimum of 5 days.
- To minimise congestion and risk upon arrival, we encourage you to pre-book, pay online and complete medical forms/waivers in advance.
- The café offers a take out service with a wide viewing area.
If I have to cancel my booking, can I get a refund?
No. This is agreed to in the terms and conditions at the time of booking.
However, we will issue you with a voucher which is valid for 12 months if you cancelled 48 hours BEFORE the date of your activity. If you cancel WITHIN 48 hours, we will not issue vouchers.
I am interested to hear more about where my money goes. Where can I read more?
All profits go to BF Adventure’s charitable work, helping local children and young people facing life’s toughest challenges – from rurality and poverty to learning and physical disabilities, behavioural challenges and mental ill health. You can read more about our achievements.